Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Luling City Market

No, not the one on Richmond. I was driving back from a mediation in Laredo and stopped off in Luling for lunch. It would be an overstatement to say that I drove (instead of flew) to Laredo just so that I could hit Luling for lunch, but one of the nice parts about driving around central Texas is the ready availability of great smoked meats in nearly every small town.

But strangely, I was disappointed by City Market's meats. The atmosphere was great -- a happy storefront on a friendly, well-maintained block downtown -- but the pork ribs were overcooked and dry. (Well, one rib was excellent, but the others -- perhaps from a different slab? -- were just plain overdone.) The hot links had good flavor, but paled in comparison to Smitty's. The brisket was pretty good, moist and smoky, but couldn't do much to raise the overall level of the 'cue. Maybe City Market simply suffered by comparison to my road trip earlier this month to nearby Lockhart, or maybe I caught them on a bad day?

2 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience at Krause's in Lockhart, which is often named in the top 5 BBQ joints in the state.

The one time I stopped at the City Market it was near transcendent. The brisket was the best I have ever had, to this day.

I think a lot of depends on what time of day you go. Coming back from business meetings I invariably find myself at these places in off hours, when the product doesn't turn as often.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely. Kruez Market disappointed me, probably because I went there half an hour to closing.

On a related note, if you're ever a little further north, try Louie Mueller Barbecue or Ed's Place (burgers), both in Taylor. Incredible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home